If you haven’t noticed this week it is HOT!
One of the most important habits this time of year is to keep up with your water intake.
Here are a couple questions that we get this time of year in regards to hydration:
1. How much water should I be drinking?
– When thinking of how much water you should be drinking, the most accurate equation would be to drink half your bodyweight in ounces of water. For example, if you weight 200lbs, then you should be drinking 100oz of water. However, if you have an active job or are working outside you may require more than the recommendation. This is great starting point for any individual!
2. How do I know when I’m dehydrated?
– There are a couple of key signs. The easiest one to spot is the color of your urine. The lighter yellow the better, the more rust or orange color the worst. Other signs of dehydration are strong smelling pee, feeling thirsty, feeling dizzy or lightheaded, or feeling tired, just to name a few.
3. I really don’t like drinking water, what else can I drink to stay hydrated?
– Water will always be king in regards to staying hydrated. If you’re someone that enjoys a little flavor, you can add things like fruit or veggies to add in some natural flavors that also pack some hydration in them. Water enhancers like Mio are also great. The more sugar in the drink, the less hydrating it will be. Coffee and teas are also diuretics which means it causes your kidneys to flush out extra sodium and water from your body through urine.
As it gets hotter this summer, keep these few things in mind and you won’t have to worry about being dehydrated!
Looking for guidance on your nutrition journey? Schedule your Free Nutrition Consult today – crossfitoffthegrid.com/nutrition-coaching